Saturday, April 2

The Most Dangerous Cake

I am afraid of microwaves.  I clearly just don't understand them.  Whenever I use the microwave, things are not heated all the way or they explode, which is fun.  Some people are masterful with a microwave.  They can cook things, reheat food thoroughly and evenly... I have no idea how they do it.  That said, a couple years ago the lovely Maile Rose sent me the recipe for a chocolate cake that is baked in the microwave.  For some reason, I had all of the ingredients in the room, so I decided to make it.  Which is why it claims to be the most dangerous cake recipe in the world... at any time of the day you are only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake.


5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake
4 tbs flour
4 tbs sugar
2 tbs cocoa
1 egg
3 tbs milk
3 tbs oil
3 tbs chocolate (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract (optional)
1 large coffee mug

Add the dry ingredients to your largest mug and mix well.
Add the egg and mix thoroughly.  Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.
Add the chocolate chips (if desired) and vanilla extract and mix.

The mixture with my Peter Rabbit fork

Put your mug in the microwave and cook at 1000 watts (HIGH) for 3 minutes.  Because my mug was funky and Lord knows how to actually use the microwave on my floor, I ended up flipping the cake over and cooking it for another 45 seconds because it wasn't totally done.

Right out of the microwave

Susan and I split the cake.  It was pretty good, even if it wasn't spectacular.  It was kind of a strange cake - it was denser than usual.  I added some chocolate chips, which all sank to the bottom of the mug and had the effect of a gooey chocolate layer on the bottom.  Also, I used olive oil instead of canola oil because I had some olive oil ice cream awhile ago that was delicious.  The fact that I also have a quart of olive oil to use before the end of the year may have been a factor as well.

The finished product on Susan's pretty plate

All in all, not a bad recipe, although it does need some tweaking.  If you are suffering from a major craving and have all of the ingredients on hand, go for it.  But if you have to go out to get some of the ingredients, just buy a cake!  Or, better yet, make a regularly sized cake.

***
While I was "baking," I had the song "My Way" running through my head.  As much as it pains me to admit it, it wasn't Frank Sinatra's original but instead the cover that Robin Williams sings in Happy Feet. That's right.  Happy Feet.  So here it is for your listening pleasure.  I love this clip because it is dubbed over in Spanish (and Robin Williams really does sing the song in Spanish).


I think it's an almost appropriate song for this cake - each is a... well, "adulterated" is too strong of a word, but each is a weird, fun version of a classic. 

2 comments:

  1. This is hysterical! Just send the link to Donna Brown who gave you the original Peter Rabbit fork and spoon. Thought she's be amused. Izz, you're brilliant this. BTW: I'm a following, but it says you don't have any; and Jack tried to comment but it was sent back. Can't believe we were at Comedy of Errors this time last week! love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I still use both of them... they're timeless!

    I'm not sure about the following or the comments. I will say though that I've been fiddling with this post for awhile, so maybe that affected something...?

    ReplyDelete