Thursday, May 19

Chocolate Truffles

My parents have been married for 21 years today!  And I'm also making truffles!  I've been waiting to make these truffles for SO LONG.  Get excited.

Chocolate Truffles
from The Art of Simple Food

1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 lb bittersweet chocolate
10 tbs (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
6 tbs heavy cream
1-2 tbs brandy (optional)

Sift the cocoa powder into a small bowl and set it aside (I actually sifted this time).  Put the chocolate and the butter in an medium heat-proof bowl and put it in a pot of simmering water.



Once it melts, stir in the cream and the brandy.

oh it is so perfect

Refrigerate the mixture until it's firm.  Use a melon-ball roller or some really small spoon and scoop 1/2-inch balls onto a baking sheet.


Smooth the balls with your hands and drop them a few at a time into the cocoa powder to coat them.  Then, put them back in the refrigerator until they are firm.


When you're ready to eat them, bring them back to room temperature for the best flavor.  Viola.  C'est magnifique.

***
And now that I've employed one of the five French phrases I have in my arsenal, I have to add this song: "La Vie en Rose".  I realize that Edith Piaf did it first and did fantastically well (and did it French, for that matter) but I just love Louis Armstrong's version.  His voice and his trumpet just make it an entirely new song for me:


Waters, Alice, Patricia Curtan, Kelsie Kerr, and Fritz Steiff. "Chocolate Truffles." The Art of Simple Food: Notes, Lessons, and Recipes from a Delicious Revolution. New York: Clarkson Potter, 2007. 382. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment