Thursday, May 26

Fresh Pasta

I don't know why I did this.  Don't get me wrong, the pasta was good and not that difficult to make, but what was I thinking?!  I'm mostly asking myself this because I did this not once but twice.  Later, I used some of the pasta to make homemade ravioli.  Here's the recipe for fresh pasta:

Fresh Pasta
from The Art of Simple Food

2 cups flour
2 eggs
2 egg yolks

Mix the eggs together in a bowl.  In another bowl, measure out the flour and make a well (LIKE MASHED POTATOES AND GRAVY) to pour the eggs in.



Mix with a fork like you're scrambling an egg and incorporate the flour bit by bit.  If the dough becomes too dry (as in crumbly), then add a few drops of water.  Shape the dough into a disk and wrap in plastic.  Let it rest for at least an hour before rolling.


Roll the dough out by hand on a lightly floured board or using a machine.  I didn't use the machine, so don't ask me.  But I did roll it out with a rolling pin until it was fairly thin.  Cut it into noodles.


***
I actually made herb pasta by adding about 2 tablespoons of sage to the flour before adding the egg.  I also got the little crinkled edges on the end with a pastry roller thing, but you it also works with just a knife.  Also homemade pasta uses a lot more water than store-bought pasta, so make sure there is a lot of hot water and that it is a rolling boil.  It also cooks a lot faster, so depending on the thickness and how al dente you want the pasta, it should boil for about 3-6 minutes.

In other news, there's a storm here!  Which is really sad because the Marin County Greek Festival is coming up and we NEED it to be sunny and nice.  On the other hand, Marin looks really dramatic... and I saw a rainbow!




This is Andy McKee's "Drifting".  We love Andy McKee:


Waters, Alice, Patricia Curtan, Kelsie Kerr, and Fritz Steiff. "Fresh Pasta." The Art of Simple Food: Notes, Lessons, and Recipes from a Delicious Revolution. New York: Clarkson Potter, 2007. 89. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment