(Note: my mother is not a sailor... She never swears this much. The stress of the kitchen gets to her. HI MOM!)
- Resignation: As she takes stock of what is left in the kitchen, "I'm just going to pull something out of my ass."
- Anger at perceived ingratitude: As she notices that my father has once again disappeared to wash his hands or respond to one last email or do who knows what, "Where the hell does your father go every night?!"
- Denial: As she finishes sautéing or boiling or broiling, "Jeez you guys, I have no idea how this is going to taste. It's probably complete crap."
- Acceptance: As she takes the first bite, "Goddamn, I'm good."
- Assessing the consequences: As she surveys the dining table, "You have no idea how good you people have it." (Now I do, Mom! Now I do!!)