Thursday, May 5

Corn

As I mentioned early in a post on Produce, corn season is approaching!  Or, I guess, here!  This is the way my mom cooks corn at home.  It maximizes the flavor of the corn, while leaving the kernels themselves juicy and sweet.  PLUS, you don't have to dirty any dishes to make the corn, unless you insist on being civilized and eating over a plate.  But really, the trash can or the sink will do the trick.

Corn by Broiler

1 ear of corn (or however many ears you want)

Preheat the oven by turning on the broiler (broiling is when only the top coil things heat and the temperature is always set at 500 degrees).  Put the corn in for 5-8 minutes.  Remove the corn.  Eat.


***
And that's it, people.  When corn costs less than 50 cents apiece, what is not to love??  No preparation time, and the corn only cooks for a couple minutes.  You have a couple options though:
  • you can remove the husk before broiling.  It doesn't really matter, but I like the way the husks look when you pull them out of the oven and then you get to pull it back to reveal the perfectly golden corn.
  • some people peal back the husk, season the corn with whatever, and then put the husks back.  Then the broil it.  If I do put something on the corn, I usually do it after broiling, and I usually just add salt.  That said, the corn does not need anything to make it delicious.
  • Toppings include: salt, butter, spices (this is more typical for grilling corn)
In the 5-8 minutes you have to wait, rock out to Kansas' "Carry On My Wayward Son":

No comments:

Post a Comment